Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Sea Change of Frowns - Please Smile

Showing a dour face while commuting has always been a mainstay of the NYC commuter. After all, you want to appear tough and fearless in the face of the homeless looking for money and invisible to the potential slasher. I have been observing this frown parade for decades and have never thought much of it - - a self protective mechanism at worst.
Lately however I have felt distressed at the grittier, more ingrained frown I observe as I commute on two wheels every day. Bicycling gives you a purview of town you don't get any other way. You literally pass thousands of people and see them up close - one of the beautiful luxuries being on a bike affords you. And here is what I see.
People don't seem too happy. The frown is becoming the cultural norm. It does not seem to want to crest upwards into a smile. There seems to be little joy in the expressions of all the commuters I see them hustling to their offices. They seem to be shuffling along, determined to go to their cubicle and put on the ball and chain until they can turn around and go back home.
This does not seem to be the key to a happy life. If you don't like what you do every day - - change it.
My tonic: ride a bicycle as often as possible. The world becomes a new oasis of possibility and joy with every ride.
PS: Kudos to Janette Sadik-Khan for handing out lights on the west side bike path. I nominate her as Chief Engineer of the Galaxy.
And remember: It's Your Lane! Do something with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment