Monday, December 13, 2010

My High School Sweetheart


Tender would not be an age to describe me. Hardened, crusty, fossilized - they are more accurate adjectives.
All of us have our internal filters that fool the mirror except when there is that occasional glance that is unprotected and a surprise.
For bicycle riders of a certain age it means you buy certain outfits that fit more generously (as an aside, there is a market opportunity here.)
But I digress.
My first "real ride" (Reynolds 531 all Campy) was purchased from my high school sweetheart's younger brother.
It was my introduction to what riding is meant to be: effortless, joyful, transformative.
I still have it, restored and hanging on a rack. It is eye candy now. I look at it every day before I go ride on one of four other rides (a one speed, a two speed, a three speed and a twenty speed). Occasionally I take it out for a ride and wonder and wander.
So not a day goes by when I do not see and feel 16 years old and everything then.
I think that is good.
New York Tendaberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment