Monday, January 24, 2011

Where's My Maybach?

For those of you who may not be car aficionados, the Maybach is your basic $340,000 dollar limousine. That is the base model. Of course if you want the floor mats, the crystal decanter, the proper burled walnut trim and the nice alloys (plus the privacy curtains), the price is closer to $400K. And you obviously need a driver who is on call 24/7 and a garage nearby. Don't forget insurance, etc. So if you are a Maybach owner (and my blog readers know who they are), you are likely in for a cool $1MM the first year of ownership.

My trip to work each day takes me past 740 Park Ave. It's a storied building and I won't bore you with its history; do the google. Suffice to say that there are at least seven s550's lined up each morning waiting for their captains of industry as I pedal by. But it is the Maybach that captivates me.

I cannot help but yell out (and ring my 33cent bell), as I pedal by on BBUD (my 1965 one speed Schwinn), "Where's MY Maybach?". Alas, I don't see it in my future. But as I gather steam on the downward slope of Park Avenue from 70th St to the 60's I can't help but think, maybe it is for the better.

What do you think? Where's YOUR Maybach?

No comments:

Post a Comment